GCS has a vacancy for a Hydrologist/Soils Specialist at the Durban Office.
To demonstrate good technical hydrological skills, project management skills and be able to manage small to medium sized project teams, budgets and clients. To proficiently run all aspects of a project within budget, deadlines and exhibit good communication skills.
- Hydrological and hydraulic modelling abilities (Pitman, WRSM 2000, and HEC-RAS, PCSWMM or similar)
- Conduct field measurements including water flow and water quality measurements
- Proficient in obtaining hydrological and meteorological data and accurate analysis thereof • Knowledge of statistical methods and techniques in hydrology
- Measure and graph phenomena such as stream flows, and changes in water volumes
- Design and conduct scientific hydrological investigations to ensure that accurate and appropriate information is available for use in water resource management decisions.
- Hydrological catchment delineation
- Hydrological calculations, including rainfall-runoff and peak flows
- Undertake flood line calculations
- Water & Salt balances
- Storm Water Management Planning
- Risk and mitigation assessments and management plans
- Conceptual design and sizing of storm water infrastructure
- Auditing water infrastructure in terms of DWS guidelines
- Be aware of current trends and issues in hydrology, such as relevant political changes, wetland controversies, integrated and transboundary water management and climate change impacts
- Be able to interact with water structure design engineers
- Report writing including Feasibility Study and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) reporting.
- Client presentations and meetings and internal communication.
- Compilation of proposal documents and costing.Marketing
- Generate work by identifying and writing effective proposals
- Compile and submit tenders
- Business development of new work within existing clients
- Business development of work from new clients
- Present papers at industry conferences to show-case GCS expertise
- Attend relevant forums and conferences for self-development and networking purposes
- Achieve revenue target
- Contribute to unit’s revenue target
- Submit timesheets in line with GCS financial requirements
- Invoicing implemented in line with GCS procedures and financial requirements
- Manage debtors
- Mentor junior staff
- BSc or Engineering degree (+ MSc in Hydrology or similar optional) • Membership of professional industry bodies (Pr.Sci.Nat) or similarKnowledge/ Skills
- Good knowledge of the hydrological science
- Knowledge of environmental legislation and the National Water Act
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Good knowledge of the mining environment
- Good communication skills
- Soils knowledge an added advantage
- Agricultural knowledge an added advantageExperience 4 to 8 years’ experience within a hydrological environment
Remuneration: Total Cost to Company Package will be negotiated according to the candidate’s knowledge and experience.
Candidates that meet the above requirements should send their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you not receive any communication by the 31st July 2019, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Hydrologist - Soils Specialist July 2019 (219.7 KB)